Thursday, August 21, 2008

Transparency

In the 12th chapter of 1 Samuel, Samuel has arranged a service at which he will transfer the leadership of the Israelites from himself to Saul.

One of the things that surprised me was how he handled stepping down, instead of boasting about his tenure and all the things he had done, he asked them "Do you have any complaints to bring before God and his anointed?"

Few leaders have the courage to do this and even fewer would be able to comment since we as leaders don't live transparent and open lives in front of them.

I desire to live a life of integrity and transparent holiness and in doing so I have a few people who share life with me that I occasionally ask "what in my character needs to change?" These are true friends who will speak the truth to me, even at the risk of losing my friendship, because they love me and they love God.

We have an audience of One, but listening to how fellow believers see us will make us more effective in ministry among them.

Will you have the courage to ask someone "what do you see in my character that needs to change?"

No comments: