Saturday, August 23, 2008

Squeeze play

Saul remained at Gilgal, and all the troops with him were quaking with fear. 8 He waited seven days, the time set by Samuel; but Samuel did not come to Gilgal, and Saul's men began to scatter. 9 So he said, "Bring me the burnt offering and the fellowship offerings. [e] " And Saul offered up the burnt offering. 10 Just as he finished making the offering, Samuel arrived, and Saul went out to greet him.

 11 "What have you done?" asked Samuel.  Saul replied, "When I saw that the men were scattering, and that you did not come at the set time, and that the Philistines were assembling at Micmash, 12 I thought, 'Now the Philistines will come down against me at Gilgal, and I have not sought the LORD's favor.' So I felt compelled to offer the burnt offering."  13 "You acted foolishly," Samuel said. 1 Sam 13:7-13

Has there ever been a time when you were leading and everyone on your team was in fear?

You can't seem to do anything about it and they want action.

"Do something!"

So, not to lose face in front of the team, to please those you lead, you do something you know deep down in your heart you shouldn't.

I've been there, looking back I feared them or at least what they thought of me more than God. When resources were slipping away or faced with a difficult situation, I often would become impatient with God's timing, and think it was up to me to make something happen.

True spiritual character is revealed under pressure, kind of like a tube of toothpaste; when squeezed what comes out of you?

Is it love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

When faced with an impossible situation don't allow impatience or pride to drive you to act foolishly. God often uses these situations to test our obedience and faith.


 

 

No comments: