Monday, August 25, 2008

How much do I have?

13 "You acted foolishly," Samuel said. "You have not kept the command the LORD your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. 14 But now your kingdom will not endure; the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him leader of his people, because you have not kept the LORD's command."

 15 Then Samuel left Gilgal and went up to Gibeah in Benjamin, and Saul counted the men who were with him. They numbered about six hundred.
1 Sam 13:13-15

Samuel tells Saul that he has lost the right to lead and that his kingdom would pass on to someone else.

Saul is now facing two battles, externally against the Phillistines and internally knowing that God has taken his hand off.

If you were Saul, think of the pressure you would be under, the mind games that would go on in your head.

Maybe you've been there you're facing a major conflict, you're not seeing God's provision, you're not feeling the joy of His presence, your friends have walked away; you're left alone to face your enemy.

What do you do?

I think most of us would act like Saul, we carry on with our preparations for battle, we count our resources, and then we'd have a pity party for ourselves before we tried to push through. It didn't work for Saul, has it worked for you?

There might have been hope for Saul if he would have acted more like;

Hezekiah

"This is what the LORD says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover."  2
Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the LORD, 3 "Remember, O LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes." And Hezekiah wept bitterly
4 Before Isaiah had left the middle court, the word of the LORD came to him: 5 "Go back and tell Hezekiah, the leader of my people, 'This is what the LORD, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you. On the third day from now you will go up to the temple of the LORD.
2 Kings 20:1-5

Or, Moses when God said "I will not go with you";

12 Moses said to the LORD, "You have been telling me, 'Lead these people,' but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, 'I know you by name and you have found favor with me.' 13
If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people."

 14 The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."

 15 Then Moses said to him, "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. 16 How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?"

 17 And the LORD said to Moses, "I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name."
Ex 33:12-17

If you're facing a battle in your life quit counting your resources and go to the One that really counts.

No comments: