Friday, August 8, 2008

Patience of Job?

How about the patience of Samuel? Come on, God called him, spoke directly to him, but then he has to wait 20+ years to lead?

At least that is the way we would view it.

I know in my own life, as a young leader I would have wanted to make things happen. "God's given me vision of what He wants accomplished, I've got to get busy making that happen."

If I was in Samuel's sandals I might have said, "What? You don't want me to take care of the Ark? Haven't you heard God spoke to me? (1 Sam 3:1-14) In fact, He speaks to me all the time
(v. 21). Hasn't everything I've told you been wise and helpful?
(v. 19) Come on, everybody knows that I am God's prophet!
(v. 20) I'm God's man;
I should be taking care of the Ark?"

Samuel was recognized as a prophet but no one considered making him the custodian of the Ark. While Samuel was serving God in obscurity, God was preparing the hearts of the people.

As I grow older and hopefully wiser, I am learning (not there, yet) to wait upon the Lord. If you know me, you know I've long suffered from "destination disease", I want to get there! I'm learning that His plans are better than my own and that each day is about testing, training and spiritual growth.

Today is preparation for my next.

Leading in the Kingdom isn't about responsibility, it's about obedience.

No comments: