Thursday, August 28, 2008

First things first

"You have broken faith," he said. "Roll a large stone over here at once." … Then Saul built an altar to the LORD; it was the first time he had done this. 1 Samuel 14:33, 35

Saul builds his first altar, but only as a last resort, which wasn't unusual for Saul. He consistently approached God after everything else failed.

Sound familiar?

Oh God, help me…my marriage is falling apart…I have no money…my kids have done something stupid…I can't find a job…feel free to add your own ________________________. I've been there, done that, got the… haven't you? In fact, we teach the best time to reach people for the Kingdom is when they are in transition or tension.

Building an altar should have been his first act as king, not treating God as an afterthought.

Saul's first altar was also public, not personal and private. I believe that before a public declaration in our ministry there should be the personal altar, one where we offer ourselves as "living sacrifices" to Him.

I know in my own life that has to be a daily occurrence, otherwise I drift and have a hard time "denying myself".

Okay, it's not how you start, its how you finish. So Saul didn't start off by building an altar, not many of us do, but he had other chances. He could have built one after offering sacrifices illegally (13:9-13) to show his repentance, but he didn't.

"Saul, the clue phone is ringing and it's for you!"

What about you, do you hear the ringing?

Someone call me and remind me to offer myself daily to Him who died for me!

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."
Matthew 16:24

No comments: