Saturday, August 2, 2008

The call

In third chapter of 1st Samuel we find God's call to Samuel.

God called to him. He heard God's voice, but did not understand. Most people say "he was just a boy and had not yet learned to distinguish the voice of God", but isn't that true even for us who are older. One of the questions I get asked most often is "how do I know its God?", "how do you hear God?"

He went and asked Eli if he had called. Eli told him to go back to bed. Twice more this happened. Finally, the third time Eli began to understand what was happening. He explained what Samuel should do and how he should respond.

How many times has God called me and I didn't respond?

The fourth time Samuel responded to God's call, and was given a message from God. It was a message about change, about the ending of the old ways of doing things in Israel. God did not tell Samuel at this point what newness would come, only about the changes that would sweep away the old ways.

I think change is coming, can you feel it?

Even though "the word of the Lord was rare in those days," God spoke to a boy named Samuel.

I think He is already speaking to the next generation about the change He wants in His church.

My prayer, God make me Eli to the next generation, that I might understand and explain to them how they should respond to you!


 

No comments: