Thursday, December 4, 2008

Loss

1 Now Samuel died, and all Israel assembled and mourned for him; and they buried him at his home in Ramah. 1 Samuel 25:1

I'm not sure if you remember the very first chapter of 1st Samuel, remember Samuel's mother Hannah? Out of her misery she wept and pleaded with God to give her a son, which she named Samuel, which meant "I have asked the Lord". She vowed "if He gave her a son, then she would give him to the LORD for all the days of his life."

Samuel fulfilled his mother's vow and served the Lord "all the days of his life" and did it with integrity, courage and love for his people.

His influence was so great that it drew the land together again in a way that it had not seen in years. It all started with one woman in her misery
crying out to God.

It is so easy to just read over these verses without much thought, but put yourself in David's shoes. Imagine where his heart is right now.

Samuel was the prophet who anointed David as king, he was the man to whom David could run to when he was being pursued by Saul; he was his mentor. And now, Samuel is dead, he's gone.

Not only that David has met with his best friend Jonathan for the last time and his wife Michal has been given to another man, and David's parents, who are old, have been placed in the care of the king of Moab.

Can you imagine the loss, the grief, he must feel?

He is surrounded by 600, but no one knows the grief he feels, how all alone he feels.

If that's where you are, do what David and Hannah did, cry out to God.

9 Be merciful to me, O LORD, for I am in distress;
       my eyes grow weak with sorrow,
       my soul and my body with grief.

 10
My life is consumed by anguish
       and my years by groaning;
       my strength fails because of my affliction,
       and my bones grow weak.

14 But I trust in you, O LORD;
       I say, "You are my God."

24 Be strong and take heart,
       all you who hope in the LORD.
Psalm 31

10
Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me;
       O LORD, be my help."

 11 You turned my mourning into dancing;
       you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,

 12
that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
       O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.
Psalm 30

Be strong and take heart, and as He takes all things and turns them for good, remember to dance before our King!

No comments: