Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Fool

Then David moved down into the Desert of Maon. [a]
2 A certain man in Maon, who had property there at Carmel, was very wealthy. He had a thousand goats and three thousand sheep, which he was shearing in Carmel. 3 His name was Nabal and his wife's name was Abigail. She was an intelligent and beautiful woman, but her husband, a Calebite, was surly and mean in his dealings.
1 Samuel 25:2-3

His name was Nabal, he was called that all of his life.

Why is that important?

Well, Nabal means "fool". Can you imagine what that was like, to be called "fool" your entire life? How would it shape you?

Nabal was called it daily by his parents, friends, wife, etc. A couple of days ago I blogged about the power of our words, here is just another example. Isn't it amazing how we become what others say we are? It made Nabal who he was, surly and mean; he loved things instead of people.

Today is my 45th birthday and as I reflect on my life I realize how foolish I've been. Like Nabal for a period of my life I chased after what would make me great in the eyes of the world, but now I realize that was a "fool's folly".

These days I am honored to be called a fool; a fool for Christ!

About 4 years ago I started on a journey, it started with this verse:

18For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Matt 5:18-19

These days I'm trying not to pursue the folly of the world, but learning to obey everything the Lord commands and teaching those that follow the same. By learning to die to my "old self" and being remade into His likeness I am no longer bound to the identity of the world, but living as His child.

Wisdom comes from God and walking the road a long time…I'm learning that both of those are true!

No comments: