Monday, December 15, 2008

Learning to listen

32 David said to Abigail, "Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel, who has sent you today to meet me. 33 May you be blessed for your good judgment and for keeping me from bloodshed this day and from avenging myself with my own hands. 34 Otherwise, as surely as the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, who has kept me from harming you, if you had not come quickly to meet me, not one male belonging to Nabal would have been left alive by daybreak."

 35 Then David accepted from her hand what she had brought him and said, "Go home in peace. I have heard your words and granted your request." 1 Samuel 25:32-35

I'm learning.

I'm learning that God is speaking all around us, but we don't hear him.

Is it by choice?

Possibly, I think we can be afraid of what He might say, so we choose not to listen. Do you really want to know the will of God? What if it means suffering for His sake?

Most often, at least in my own life, we don't hear because of ignorance or pride, and probably both.

I first had to become aware that God still speaks, I mean come on I was raised Presbyterian, God's got a plan He doesn't need to speak to me?

Probably the hardest thing for me to get over has been my pride. As my walk with God has grown at times so has my pride.

Here's the deal, I've prided myself on getting "counsel" from people I knew walked with God. Now that's not a bad thing, but it can lead to some arrogance. How? Well, I'm limiting who God can use based on my judgment. God is sovereign and He can use anyone He feels like to carry out His plan.

Think about this, He used Moses, who was an escaped fugitive and who made all kinds of excuses as to why he was not the one God needed. He used Samson and Balaam, and even Balaam's donkey. God used Pharaoh and his hardened heart to demonstrate His power over the gods of Egypt. He used David, who was an adulterer, murderer, liar, etc. and He uses Abigail in this passage.

Here is what I'm learning, to be aware of what God is trying to say to me in every situation and through every person He brings into my life.

David's response to Abigail was praise to God because he saw God using her to guide him on the right path!

Seek Him!

No comments: