Monday, October 27, 2008

Stripped

22 Finally, he himself left for Ramah and went to the great cistern at Secu. And he asked, "Where are Samuel and David?"
      "Over in Naioth at Ramah," they said.

 23 So Saul went to Naioth at Ramah. But the Spirit of God came even upon him, and he walked along prophesying until he came to Naioth. 24 He stripped off his robes and also prophesied in Samuel's presence. He lay that way all that day and night. This is why people say, "Is Saul also among the prophets?" 1 Sam 19:22-24

"If you want something done, you got to do it yourself." I'm sure that's what Saul was muttering to himself.

All full of himself he goes, but the Spirit of God came on him and he started professing the things of God as he walked along the road.

This is Saul, remember?

Ever been around someone who showed God's gifts but lived like "hell" behind the scenes? There have been way too many of these in ministry and because of that unbelievers see us as hypocrites.

God, help me live in the power of your Holy Spirit!

Saul sure didn't have the character to back up his words. But, I'm also reminded that we are talking about God, the Great I Am, and He can use anybody he chooses to fulfill His will and His ways are not my ways.

I am God, and there is no other;
       I am God, and there is none like me.

I make known the end from the beginning,
       from ancient times, what is still to come.
       I say: My purpose will stand,
       and I will do all that I please.
Isaiah 46:9-10

Here's the warning for any of us who pretend; at some point we are going to encounter God and He might strip us naked and expose all the stuff that we've tried to hide!

Without his robes, Saul was reduced to an ordinary man or even less.

Do you think God might have been saying to Saul that the only reason he was still king was by God's own mercy and not by Saul's merits?

Can you imagine waking up after that?

Okay, some of you can, but it wasn't from an encounter with the Almighty!

"Is Saul among the prophets?"

These words were once spoken in amazement about Saul (10:11), but now they are spoken in ridicule.

Sometimes the only people we are fooling, turns out to be ourselves.

"…let us
strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us."
Hebrews 12:1

Before God does it for us!


 


 


 

No comments: