Thursday, October 23, 2008

Being around you

Word came to Saul: "David is in Naioth at Ramah"; 20 so he sent men to capture him. But when they saw a group of prophets prophesying, with Samuel standing there as their leader, the Spirit of God came upon Saul's men and they also prophesied. 21 Saul was told about it, and he sent more men, and they prophesied too. Saul sent men a third time and they also prophesied. 1 Samuel 19:19-21

Saul wants David bad, he's trying to kill him, who would you send to capture David? It probably wouldn't have been the nicest guys in the room, right?

What happens? They encounter Samuel and the other prophets and the spirit of God comes over them, they act as if they are prophets.

I wonder what the report is that comes to Saul about his first "posse" sent to arrest David.

So he sends a second party to arrest David. I would venture to say that he chooses men who are not as inclined to be "spiritual" this time. The very same thing happens to them. Saul then sends a third party, only to have the same thing repeated again.

Have you ever been around someone who was so in tune with God that it took you somewhere spiritually? Just by being around them you could almost feel God's presence.

For many years I have taught that great leaders make other people feel great around them. But after reading this passage this morning, I'll probably change that to "great leaders make others feel the great I AM around them."

When people come into my life do they feel the presence of God?

They should, right? If I truly believe God's word, then I have to believe that I am just a container for the almighty God.

But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you. Romans 8:10-11

My prayer almost every morning these days is that there must "be less of me and more of You!" (John 3:30)

How about you? Do people feel the presence of God just by being around you?

No comments: