Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Anything?

1 Then David fled from Naioth at Ramah and went to Jonathan and asked, "What have I done? What is my crime? How have I wronged your father, that he is trying to take my life?"

Do you have someone you can ask "what have I done" or "what about my character needs to change" and they will shoot straight with you?

 2 "Never!" Jonathan replied. "You are not going to die! Look, my father doesn't do anything, great or small, without confiding in me. Why would he hide this from me? It's not so!"

Saul knew Jonathan wouldn't put up with his evil ways so he hid them him; darkness hides from light.

 3 But David took an oath and said, "Your father knows very well that I have found favor in your eyes, and he has said to himself, 'Jonathan must not know this or he will be grieved.' Yet as surely as the LORD lives and as you live, there is only a step between me and death."

 4 Jonathan said to David, "Whatever you want me to do, I'll do for you."

How many times have you heard or said "can I do anything for you?" Did you really mean anything? Jonathan did, but he knew David's heart and that David would not ask him to do anything wrong or to even rebel against his father. Do you have a friend like that?

 5 So David said, "Look, tomorrow is the New Moon festival, and I am supposed to dine with the king; but let me go and hide in the field until the evening of the day after tomorrow. 6 If your father misses me at all, tell him, 'David earnestly asked my permission to hurry to Bethlehem, his hometown, because an annual sacrifice is being made there for his whole clan.' 7 If he says, 'Very well,' then your servant is safe. But if he loses his temper, you can be sure that he is determined to harm me. 8 As for you, show kindness to your servant, for you have brought him into a covenant with you before the LORD. If I am guilty, then kill me yourself! Why hand me over to your father?"

9 "Never!" Jonathan said. "If I had the least inkling that my father was determined to harm you, wouldn't I tell you?"

What a risk! By confronting his father Jonathan was taking a huge risk, but David did also, he was willing to lay down his life. David reminded Jonathan of their covenant and the obligation to be honest with each other, even it meant being killed.

Wow, do you desire to be that honest in your relationships, even if it means death?

Would we have the courage to have friendships that have that level of honesty and the desire to push each other toward holiness?

 
 

No comments: