Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why are you?

17 Saul recognized David's voice and said, "Is that your voice, David my son?"

      David replied, "Yes it is, my lord the king." 18 And he added, "Why is my lord pursuing his servant? What have I done, and what wrong am I guilty of? 19 Now let my lord the king listen to his servant's words. If the LORD has incited you against me, then may he accept an offering. If, however, men have done it, may they be cursed before the LORD! 1 Samuel 26:17-19

I had to really try hard to put myself in David's shoes to get anything out of this. It's easy to become bored with the persistent pursuit by Saul and to just read over this. But stop and ask God to reveal what it is He wants you to see.

Here's what I see…think how David feels constantly being pursued by Saul. Wouldn't you want to know why Saul keeps up? So, he asks.

Have you ever confronted your enemy, your accuser and asked why?

David humbled himself enough to ask first if it was something he had done. David wanted to know the sin he committed that might have caused God to send Saul after him. Wow, I don't think even in Christian circles we would ask that question today.

Notice he doesn't say he will ask Saul for forgiveness, he says he will offer a sacrifice to God. This is HUGE…we tend to think about the sinned against and asking for forgiveness, but when we sin, our sin is against God first and foremost, first and foremost, first and foremost.

What he is saying is that if God finds his offering acceptable, then Saul you need not pursue this, you have no right to. Wow, stop and sit on all that for a minute…I hope it changes your thinking on sin and forgiveness.

David then asks if not my sin, who is accusing me, who is whispering in your ear, who is stirring up trouble?

Would that be a question you would ask of your enemy?

This again is huge:

He who justifies the wicked, and he who condemns the righteous, Both of them alike are an abomination to the LORD. Proverbs 17:15

An abomination…may they be cursed! Be careful what you say!

David was humble enough to ask first if it was his sin, then he asked if it was the sins of others, he doesn't blame Saul.

More tomorrow…

No comments: