Friday, January 2, 2009

What to do?

7 So David and Abishai went to the army by night, and there was Saul, lying asleep inside the camp with his spear stuck in the ground near his head. Abner and the soldiers were lying around him.

 8 Abishai said to David, "Today God has delivered your enemy into your hands. Now let me pin him to the ground with one thrust of my spear; I won't strike him twice."

 9 But David said to Abishai, "Don't destroy him! Who can lay a hand on the LORD's anointed and be guiltless? 10 As surely as the LORD lives," he said, "the LORD himself will strike him; either his time will come and he will die, or he will go into battle and perish. 11 But the LORD forbid that I should lay a hand on the LORD's anointed. Now get the spear and water jug that are near his head, and let's go."

 12 So David took the spear and water jug near Saul's head, and they left. No one saw or knew about it, nor did anyone wake up. They were all sleeping, because the LORD had put them into a deep sleep. 1 Samuel 26:7-12

If I was David here is what would be going through my mind.

"God, what are you up to?"

"This is the second time you've delivered Saul into my hands. Do you want me to kill him? I've heard the stories of how Jael delivered Israel by driving a tent peg through Sisera's temple while he slept (Judg 4:21). Lord, is that what you ask? Are you going to keep giving Saul into my hands until I do, is this what you desire?"

"But Lord, I also remember how convicted I was immediately after I cut off a piece of Saul's garment (24:5). I'm sure I did what you wanted…I think?"

"And Lord, I saw you move against Nabal. It was your vengeance and not my revenge that took him out (25:37-39). Are you asking me to wait upon you again?"

That's a lot to think about as you're standing over Saul surrounded by 3,000!

Remember, David was a man after God's own heart and he had become sensitive to what God desired. He didn't have to ponder and pray about his decision, there was no delay, and he knew what he was supposed to do.

I wonder if my delays in decisions come about because my heart isn't in the right place.

Have I been on my face
enough, have I walked with God enough, have I sought after Him enough before I get into a situation that I can immediately respond?

Seek after Him and May God guide your every step in this New Year.

No comments: