Friday, January 9, 2009

Lost your mind?

1 But David kept thinking to himself, "Someday Saul is going to get me. The best thing I can do is escape to the Philistines. Then Saul will stop hunting for me in Israelite territory, and I will finally be safe." 1 Samuel 27:1

David maybe a "man after God's own heart", but he's jacked up, he's crazy, seriously!

The first time he ran to Gath he had to pretend to be crazy because he was afraid of Achish the king, but seriously he's just out of his mind this time.

"David, this is the land of the Philistines, did you forget your battles against them? Did you forget that the last time you were there you did escape, but you were so afraid you had to pretend to be a lunatic to get out of there?"

Wouldn't that be one of those times you'd say "I'll never do that again"?

What happened to the warrior, the man who had spoken so boldly, acted in such faith? Now he's full of doubts, to the point of saying Saul's going to kill me one day.

He's forgotten all the goodness the Lord has shown him.

Fear got to him. That's a lesson for us; fear can get to the best, even the best warriors, and the best of God's men!

Both times David ran in fear to Gath, he was trying to protect himself and looking for safety. Both times he didn't wait on divine guidance.

He had simply had enough, his troubles had become overwhelming. Looking for safety he didn't take into account how his life would be living among the Philistines; all the lies and the deception he would live in.

Notice that in this whole chapter (27), 16 months of David's life, there is no mention of the Lord or of prayer. This great man of God doesn't seem to be walking with Him. That has got to be horrible for David.

What causes a man to move from a great man of faith and waiting upon the Lord to provide and fight his battles, to
being overwhelmed with anxiety thinking he's going to perish?

David is not the first or the last; Elijah did it; Peter did it.

Here's what I was reminded of today; whatever I become in God's hands is always by His grace, not my strength.

5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5

And when my strength fails under pressure, it is only the grace of God that will preserve me.

The antidote to fear is faith: put everything into His hands and remain in Him!

No comments: