Thursday, November 20, 2008

Went home?

18 The two of them made a covenant before the LORD. Then Jonathan went home, but David remained at Horesh. 1 Samuel 23:18

This particular verse has meant
so much to me over the past year. Here's why.

I have some of those covenant relationships in my life. But, I was beginning to doubt whether I was upholding my end of the covenants. It's been almost two years ago that I got the call in my life to leave the church I loved, the one that God used to change my life, to physically leave the people that I walked with.

As I pursued the call
of God in my life and moved to Tallahassee, I watched as my friends faced persecution, lost their jobs, got involved in major accidents and the church I love split. I carried an incredible burden that I should be there with them in those crises.

But notice the verse above, Jonathan went home. Why? Wasn't he the one who made three eternal covenants with David? Why not stand and fight with him? Why leave?

Then it hit me. If I am a man of faith, then my faith tells me that there is a battle going on that is much bigger than me.

12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Eph 6:12

How do I fight in a battle like that?

13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Eph 6:13-18

This was a spiritual battle and all Jonathan could do was go back and pray for both David and his father.

My greatest weapon in this battle, the thing I can do best, is prayer, which I have done every day since I left.

1 comment: