Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Stand

17 "Don't be afraid," he said. "My father Saul will not lay a hand on you. You will be king over Israel, and I will be second to you. Even my father Saul knows this." 1 Samuel 23:17

Fear causes you to forget who God is and His promises.

David forgot the promises of God and became afraid. What are you forgetting?

We need friends to point us to Christ, to push us to depend on God and not them.

Yesterday I wrote about Jonathan strengthening David's hand in God. He did it by reminding him of a promise that God had made and of his destiny.

He reminds David that he will be king after Saul.

Who does that for you?

How'd he know
that David would be king over Israel?

They were deep friends and so it is hard to imagine that David had not told Jonathan about the time when the prophet Samuel had anointed David as a boy to be king over Israel.

Do you have someone in your life that you share the secret stuff with? Someone who is safe enough to share the "crazy" things with? Think about it, how crazy would it be for the shepherd boy to say to the heir of the throne, "Samuel said I would be king." David trusted Jonathan enough to share everything.

"And I will stand with you."

Really? He intends to stand by David, a throne that should have belonged to Jonathan. What a picture of selfless, personal sacrifice; Jonathan is not jealous of David.

Who will you stand with?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fear causes a lot more feelings than just forgetfulness

my fear of death and satan caused me to totally lose control, not sleep, not think sanely.

In my fear I forgot that God is my shield. I totally lacked trust that when death comes to my loved ones, God will give me the strength I need to survive.

Thanks for the post!