Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Forgiveness

Today our prayers will be about forgiveness.

"Just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive" Col 3:13

Not sure, what stuck out for you when you read that verse; was it dealing with your own forgiveness or having to forgive someone else?

Here's the deal. Until you've experienced forgiveness it's really hard to give forgiveness. Forgiveness is a gift; it's not something you can give yourself.

But what about forgiving myself?

It doesn't start there, not sure it ever gets there.

1 God, be merciful to me
       because you are loving.
    Because you are always ready to be merciful,
       wipe out all my wrongs.
 2 Wash away all my guilt
       and make me clean again.
 3 I know about my wrongs,
       and I can't forget my sin.
 4 You are the only one I have sinned against;
       I have done what you say is wrong.
Psalm 51

The first thing we have to understand is that our wrongs, our sin, is against God and God alone. The second thing is that He is offering to forgive us, to wipe out all my wrongs, to wash me clean and that is a gift. There is nothing I can do to earn that, it is totally a gift, a gift I accept or reject.

If we reject it we will be like David and say "I can not forget my sin", "I cannot forgive myself".

Have you accepted the gift?

Pray:

"Forgive us our debts. Forgive us for our failures to keep honest accounts with our neighbors. Forgive us for refusing the gifts that are given and stealing what is not ours to have. Forgive us for using the gift of language to deceive. Forgive us for using the gift of sexuality to seduce. Forgive us for using the gift of strength to abuse and murder. Forgive us for using the gift of plenty to impoverish another."
(Eugene Peterson)

No comments: