Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Change me

This past weekend we looked at the Lord's Prayer and the parable that followed. I talked about how the verbs come, give, forgive, bring not, lend, ask, seek, knock are asked by one person to another, connecting people in away that things get changed. Prayer is action, not giving in to the way things are, it is a conversation that changes things.

Think about your request for change; is it more about changing the circumstances you are in or changing other people who are around you?

Today I would like us to focus on "personal renewal", about changing our own hearts.

I'm asking you to join me in praying what can be one of the scariest prayers in the Bible.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
      test me and know my anxious thoughts.
 24 Point out anything in me that offends you,
      and lead me along the path of everlasting life.
Psalm 139

How many of us want God to test us, know our thoughts, to show us the evil that is in us?

That is a very hard prayer to pray if you are not seeking one thing.

1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 3For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. Col 3:1-3

Where is your focus: on the things above or here on earth?

Do you see this time as preparation for the next?

God test me, show me, change ME!

No comments: