Thursday, June 19, 2008

Back to the Basics

If you have been a Christ follower for any length of time you are probably familiar with the story of Nicodemus.  Nicodemus was the Jewish Rabbi who snuck over at night to see Jesus.

Couple of things that struck me as I was preparing teach this story. 

One, Nicodemus was a Rabbi, in those days an expert in the Kingdom of God, yet Jesus tells him he doesn't know the basics

"Don't know the basics?" 

Really? 

How would I handle that comment from Christ if it were directed at me? 

Is there something that I have built my whole identity around that is a lie?

The second thing, Jesus tells him
"you procrastinate with questions", okay that one I am obviously guilty of! 

But, aren't we all? 

Think about it, don't we all know more
than
we do

The gap between what I know and what I live continues to get wider.

I think Nicodemus was at that place and he needed help.  Maybe he showed up on Jesus door step because he needed a personal guide to show him what the next step was in his journey, "how do I..."

Do you have a personal guide?

Someone who is pushing you to live out what you already know?

2 comments:

Scott Weatherford said...

you are on to something bro. Stay at it!

Troy Sifford said...

Interesting! I see your surfing destination has moved from the Texas coastline to Florida beaches. I'm excited to have found your blog, but I'm really more excited to see what you're doing to spread the Word! Can you believe it's been ten years since we played our last game of golf in Victoria and you told me you had decided to become a pastor. Wow! I knew it was your calling. I can't imagine all the people's lives you've touched with such thought-provoking, Spirit-driven messages. I'm amazed.